headerimg

RE: One Night Changes Your Life - JJ/Rossi

in Fanfiction englisch 28.09.2010 22:53
von VanInBlack • 1.856 Beiträge

Chapter 17

The team arrived back at Quantico the following afternoon. For the first time in weeks they entered the bullpen together, with Rossi between them instead of five steps behind.
The flight home had been quiet, everyone was lost in their own thoughts, and they didn't talk much, but the tension was gone. It would still take a while for everything to go back to normal, but at least now they were standing on common ground again.

"I'm going to see if there's some coffee left, before I hole up behind my paperwork," Morgan called out, going over to the break corner of the bullpen.

"That's not such a bad idea," Rossi agreed, following him. He was in a much better mood than he had been in a long time, finally being able to breathe again, as if a heavy weight had been lifted off his chest.

It didn't last long, though.

Walking around the corner, he stopped tracks as he was greeted with a sight that made his heart stop for a moment. Leaning on the kitchen counter was JJ, his Jennifer, with "pretty face" Agent Anderson right next to her, both smiling brightly at each other as Anderson had his hand on JJ's belly! On his baby!
The wave of jealousy that rushed through his body almost knocked him off his feet.

"Oh, hey, you're back!" JJ welcomed them as she saw them enter.

Rossi's heart began to pound loudly in his chest. Seriously, she can't be... He couldn't finish that thought. As a matter of fact, he wasn't able to think straight anymore. What was happening here? He had thought he and Jennifer were on the way to recovery, they were making progress in narrowing the gap between them! Irrationality began to take over, and he burst out loudly: "What the hell do you think you're doing?"

"Excuse me?" JJ froze where she was standing, the smile gone from her face within a millisecond.

Morgan threw confused looks around, not immediately comprehending what was going on. Before he could ask, Rossi yelled again, this time at Anderson: "Get the hell away from Jennifer and my child!"

Anderson's face could be best described with intimidated, as Rossi took few steps towards him. JJ recovered from her
temporary frozen state and stepped between them. "Just what the hell do you think you're doing, Rossi?" she shouted angrily.

"What the fuck's going on between you and this...this-?" Rossi glared furiously at her, not able to finish his question.

"Yo, Chief, back off!" Morgan interfered, but fell on deaf ears with Rossi.

"Why is he touching my baby?" Rossi became more and more agitated, as JJ's eyes nearly popped out of her head at his question.

"Stop yelling at me, Rossi! Who do you think you are, huh? You have no right to react like that!" she screamed back at him.

"The hell I have! This is my baby, and I have every right in the world-"

"Okay, stop it now! Both of you!" Morgan intervened, pulling Dave back on his arm.

Meanwhile, Hotch, Prentiss and Reid had come over as well, attracted by the noise. JJ and Rossi however had no intention of stopping their fight.

"How dare you, Rossi?" JJ spat out. "You are not in any position to ask me those kind of questions, especially not in that tone!"

"Dave, what are you doing?" Hotch asked.

Rossi turned around and snapped at him, Reid, and Prentiss. "Get the hell out of here! This is none of your business!"

"It is, when you're upsetting JJ again!" Hotch retorted.

Focusing on JJ again, Rossi shot out: "The baby's not even here, and you're already hooking up with someone else?"

JJ couldn't believe what she was hearing. She had let herself believe that maybe finally things were on the mend between her and Rossi, and then he came here and screwed them again. Shooting him dangerous glares, she was about to shout back, when Hotch tried to reach for Rossi's arm, but was slapped away by him.

"Dave, if you value your life, I'd strongly suggest you shut up now!" he warned, preparing himself for physically removing his friend from the breakroom if he was not willing to come with him. Seeing the tears begin to form in JJ's eyes, he made a second attempt at grabbing Rossi. "Let's get out of here, Dave. You better go back to your office until you're calmed down, and when you did so, I want to see you and JJ in my office in fifteen minutes!" He and Morgan dragged Rossi out, and Emily went over to JJ and embraced her in a tight hug.

"You really know how to mess things up, don't you, Rossi?" she yelled after him.

And then Rossi froze in his tracks as he heard the most determined voice he knew and that he'd never imagined to hear at the BAU.

"What have you done now, son?"

Spinning around, he saw that his ears hadn't been deceiving him. His mother was stepping out of the elevator and walking over to where he, Hotch, and Morgan were standing, carrying a plate with a cake in her hands.

"I thought you could use a surprise when Davey told me on the phone that you were coming back from a case this afternoon, but I have a feeling that I am interrupting something serious here." Gracia Rossi looked around, and her eyes fell on a crying JJ. Furrowing her brows, she repeated her question, this time with even more force behind it.

"What have you done, David Rossi?"

And right in this moment, Rossi realized that he was doomed.

TBC

nach oben springen

in Fanfiction englisch 29.09.2010 20:33

Chapter 18

"Mama, what are you doing here?" Rossi asked surprised.

"Don't change the subject, son! Tell me right now what you've done to make that poor woman cry!" Mrs. Rossi's voice began to sound impatiently, as the whole bullpen had fallen silent and interrupted their work to curiously watch the exchange between mother and son.

JJ, too, had now recognized Rossi's mother. "Oh God!" she groaned softly, realizing at once that the moment of truth had finally come for Mrs. Rossi. She had tossed the thought of telling her about the baby in her head more than once in the past weeks, but she'd still wanted to be better with Dave, before doing so, and her ideas for letting the bomb explode did definitely not include doing it in the middle of the bullpen with all of their coworkers as an audience. In fact, she'd already briefly talked with Rossi about it on the phone, but they'd both agreed on discussing this in person at a later point.
Seeing the determined expression on the elderly lady's face, she knew there was no way they could avoid this topic today. Nevertheless, she chose to stay right where she was, wanting to watch how things were going to proceed first, and ignoring Rossi's pleading looks for help. He had put himself into this trouble, so he should see how to get out of it by himself.

"I'm waiting, David! What's going on?"

Rossi looked around uneasily, seeing Hotch cringe, and Prentiss exchange questioning glances with Morgan. Reid wore his usual puzzled expression that he always had when he couldn't make sense of a situation.
In that moment, Garcia came out of her office and entered the stage.

"Hello my loves, what's that gathering supposed to mean?" she wanted to know, raising her eyebrows in confusion at the scene in front of her. When she saw the tears in JJ's face, she was immediately alarmed. "What's wrong with you, Jayje? Did this poor excuse of a baby's father upset you again?"

JJ looked away, wishing for a quick escape to appear in front of her, and hoping that Mrs. Rossi hadn't heard what Garcia just said. Unfortunately, however, the small woman's hearing was still perfectly fine, despite her advanced age. Rossi, too, stood there, helpless, watching everything tumbling down right before his eyes, without being able to interfere, as his mother asked: "Father? What father?"

As if things couldn't get any worse, Reid, being his usual self, blurted out: "Your mother doesn't know you're the father of JJ's baby?"

The silence that followed was deafening. Everyone stood shocked waiting for what was going to happen, and for Mrs. Rossi to take in the big news.

Rossi wished for the earth to open up and swallow him, or better, for a sudden lightning to strike him dead, because, whatever would come now, it was surely worse than any kind of death. The next thing he knew was that his mother handed the cake over to Hotch, closed the last few steps between them, and gave him a ringing slap in the face, right in front of everyone. Judging from the look in her eyes, she had fully understood the situation, remembering her meeting and talk with JJ from a few weeks back.

Rossi didn't even dare to meet her eyes, as he heard her speak, quietly, but with more disgust he'd thought possible to hear out of her mouth. "I'd never have thought that the day would come that I am truly ashamed of my own son!"

He hung his head in defeat, never even bothering to try to defend himself while he felt more ashamed than he ever had in his entire time on this earth. It tore his heart into pieces to see the one woman he loved more than anything in the world – besides Jennifer – so disappointed. Not for the first time he regretted his poor behavior in the last months. Oh, how much he wished he'd handled things differently from the begin on! He had absolutely no idea what to say or to do now. A simple apology would never be enough at the moment, and trying to explain himself would only extend her wrath, though he was not sure, if that was even possible.

Lucky for him, his mother gave him a way out for the time being. "Get out of my sight immediately!" Obeying without even looking at her, he slowly trudged away, making his way up the few stairs to his office, followed by the glances of his team and all of their other coworkers. They had all finally gotten the proof, witnessed with their own eyes, that he was not only the world's most legendary profiler, but also the biggest bastard on the face of the earth.

As soon as he had closed the office door behind him, everyone else seemed to awake out of their paralysis. Hotch, within seconds back in full unit-chief mode, sent them all back to their desks. "All right, people, show's over, go back to work!" Turning to Mrs. Rossi, he said: "I am really sorry about all this."

"Don't worry, young man. You don't have to take responsibility for my son's poor behavior," she dismissed him.

"Maybe we should have a seat, Mrs. Rossi," Hotch continued. He gestured over to the little kitchen corner, adding: "Let me introduce you to our team while you're here. I don't know if you remember me, it's been quite a while since we've met."

"Of course I remember you, Mr. Hotchner!" Gracia Rossi replied, smiling at him. "It was really nice to have had you over for dinner all those years ago." Yes, Hotch recalled, it had been wonderful meeting her and the entire Rossi family back in the days before Rossi's early retirement. Rossi's mother was the most warmhearted woman he'd ever met, and he mentally berated his friend once again for his actions, causing his mother such a grief. Hotch knew that Rossi hadn't done it on purpose, he knew how much his mother meant to him, but he couldn't help but wonder again about his serious lack of ability for handling things better.

Once they had all gathered around the kitchen table, Hotch made the introductions. "Guys, you've already realized, this is Dave's mother, Gracia Rossi. Mrs. Rossi, these are Derek Morgan, Spencer Reid, Emily Prentiss, Penelope Garcia, and Jennifer Jareau." They all shook her hand and welcomed her.

"Mrs. Rossi, it's wonderful to meet you again!" JJ greeted her.

"The pleasure is all mine, Ms. Jareau," Mrs. Rossi replied warmly, giving JJ a bright smile.

"Please, call me JJ."

Hotch was a bit surprised. "You two have already met?"

"Yes, briefly, a few weeks ago when I was at the mall with David," Gracia Rossi answered. Turning back to JJ, she said: "If I may ask, do you mind if we talked in private?"

"Not at all," JJ nodded. "We can go into my office. May I offer you a cup of coffee, or something else?"

She filled two mugs for them, and then guided Rossi's mother over to her office.

TBC

nach oben springen

in Fanfiction englisch 01.10.2010 16:14

Chapter 19

When JJ and Rossi's mother were gone, the rest of the team still lingered in the breakroom for another few minutes.

"What is wrong with this man?" Morgan said, shaking his head at Rossi's behavior.

"I don't know," Prentiss sighed. "One minute you think things are finally going to be all right again, and the next, poof, he goes and blows it all up again."

"I should have eliminated him the moment JJ told me everything in the hospital," Garcia threw in.

"I don't think that this would have made things any better," Reid said. "JJ loves him too much" Garcia, Prentiss, and Morgan stared at him in disbelief.

"What? I mean it's obvious, isn't it?" Reid shrugged.

Prentiss and Garcia let out a giggle. "That's a first! Since when are you not totally oblivious of these things?" Prentiss chuckled.

"He's right, though," Hotch said matter-of-factly. "And Dave loves her too."

"Yeah, and what are we going to do about it?" Morgan wanted to know.

"What do you mean?" Hotch asked back.

"Come on, Hotch, they can't go on like that! I know we agreed to keep out of their business and let them work things out for themselves, but you have to admit that Rossi's about to screw things up for good, if he goes on like that and we don't interfere." Morgan's reply sounded quite agitated.

"I agree, but there's a new factor in our equation now. His mother." Hotch couldn't suppress a grin. "Believe me, if there's one person that can straighten him out, then it's this woman! I mean, you've seen her!"

They all nodded, recalling the events from just a few minutes ago.

"Man, this lady was pissed!" Morgan burst out. Hotch wanted to add something, but was interrupted by his cell phone ringing.

"Have we got a new case already?" Reid asked when the Unit Chief had ended the call.

"No, that was just a local detective asking for a consult. Which reminds me that we all still have work to do, don't we?" Rising from their seats, they all headed towards their respective offices and desks. "Oh, and one more thing," Hotch held them back before they parted. "This avoidance and turning-away from Rossi from the past weeks, I don't want to see that again."

Hotch walked up the stairs, but instead of going into his own office, he went over and knocked on Rossi's door. Hearing no sound from inside, he simply entered. Rossi was standing at the window with a bottle of Scotch in his hand, his back to the door, staring out.

"What, now you're not even taking a glass anymore?" Hotch asked him teasingly.

"Get out of here, Hotch!" Rossi barked without bothering to turn around.
Instead of obliging Rossi's unfriendly uttered request, Hotch closed the door and walked over to his friend.

"You do realize that you're still on duty, right?" he asked Dave, eyeing him from the side.

"It's none of your business," Rossi answered roughly, taking a healthy mouthful from the bottle.

They stood in silence, shoulder to shoulder, for a few moments.

"Do you really think getting drunk will help you with your mother and JJ?" Hotch wanted to know.

Rossi didn't reply at first, but after long seconds he finally muttered: "What does it matter anymore?" He looked at Hotch for the first time since the younger man had entered the room, and went over to sit down on his couch. Not wanting to give up so fast, Hotch followed him and took a seat right next to him. They were silent again for a couple of minutes, when Dave suddenly whispered: "I don't know what I'm doing here. I don't even know myself anymore, Aaron. All I know is that my mother hates me, that I hate myself. Maybe I should make a clean cut. Maybe it's better if I left."

"What are you saying here, Dave?" Hotch questioned, not liking what he just heard.

"You saw it. I snapped when I saw her with that Anderson jerk, and I had no right at all to do so. Who's telling me that it won't happen again? All I'm obviously capable of is hurting Jennifer and everyone else around me." Rossi answered moodily.

"Tell me one thing, Dave. Do you love her?"

Rossi didn't have to think about the answer. "More than anything or anyone ever before," he said firmly. "I never thought it would be possible, but Jennifer, Henry, and the baby mean the world to me."

"And don't you think that's worth fighting for?"

Rossi's look was dark and clouded. "What if I screw up again? I don't think JJ could handle it another time, and I just don't want to hurt her anymore."

"If that happens, you can be sure that at least your mother and Garcia will make sure you'll never see the sunlight again,"

Hotch smirked, trying to loosen up the situation. "Seriously, Dave. You have to be patient. Things won't change over night, but JJ and the baby need you. And if I remember correctly, your mother's been trying to get a grandchild from you since forever. You don't really want to take that away from her, do you?"

Rossi let out a small laugh. "God, no! Though, she will probably just go and adopt JJ, regardless of what I do."

"Yeah, I'd say that's a fair assumption, they're both currently talking in JJ's office."

They sat next to each other for another few minutes until Hotch stood up.

"Well, I gotta go back to work. I'm pretty sure you do, too." He walked over to the door and opened it. Before stepping outside, he turned around again and added: "You're not alone, Dave. The team and I will all be there for you and JJ. All you have to do is ask if you need our help." He didn't wait for an answer and closed the door behind him and went back into his own office.

TBC

nach oben springen

in Fanfiction englisch 03.10.2010 00:06

Chapter 20

"Please, have a seat," JJ said once she and Mrs. Rossi had entered her office, freeing a chair from a load of case files that had piled up all over her office. She pulled another chair from behind her desk, and sat down next to the older woman.
Looking at her, JJ realized again that Rossi must probably resemble his father more than his mother. A few weeks back at the mall she had already noticed that there was only one physical trait he shared with his mother, and that was her eyes. They were the same dark brown color, and she looked at JJ with the same intense glance as Rossi always did. It was almost as if they could see right into the depths of her soul.

Clearing her voice, JJ started to speak first. "I'm so sorry that you had to find out this way, Mrs. Rossi. We really should have told you earlier."

"Don't worry, this is not your fault. You don't have to take responsibility for my son's mistakes," Rossi's mother answered resolutely.

"I know, but it would probably have been better if we had told you right away, when we met at the shopping center. I just... I just couldn't. You looked so proud of him that I just didn't have the heart to tell you what a -" JJ stopped in the middle of the sentence, not wanting to use bad names describing the son in front of his mother, no matter how true they might be.

"A scumbag he was?" Rossi's mother finished for her. "It's okay, don't hesitate to speak your mind. I have all kinds of names for him in my mind right now, and believe me, none of them are very flattering."

JJ smiled at her outspoken demeanor.

"Please, would you tell me what happened between you and David?" Gracia Rossi asked then. Sighing deeply, JJ was not sure if she should tell her everything, but as she saw her uneasy posture, Mrs. Rossi added: "Please, do not spare me with the details. I need to know how badly my son has screwed up."

Slowly, JJ began to talk. "David and I spent a night together in spring. I got pregnant, despite being on the pill, and when I told him about it, he was a bit overwhelmed, I guess."

"You don't have to sugarcoat the words, sweetheart. I can imagine he said some incredibly stupid things." The other woman supplied.

"Well, yes, he did. But I've wondered ever since, if things had turned out differently if I hadn't stormed out of his office. Maybe I should have insisted on talking things through right away. Maybe we wouldn't be in this mess now." JJ said, running a hand through her long, blonde hair.

"Don't blame yourself. This is all my son's doing. I'm afraid to say that he has always had a habit of talking before thinking. Go on, what happened then?"

"He had made it clear that he didn't want to be a father, so I told him to stay away from me. I was enraged when I said it, and after a while, when the first anger had been gone, I was to proud to make a step towards him, to try to talk to him again. We agreed to keep our distance from each other outside our jobs. I thought that maybe if he had some time to think about everything and get used to the thought of becoming a father, he'd come around eventually. Which he did. I just didn't think it would take that long." JJ explained.

Gracia Rossi looked at her in surprise at her last sentences.

"Well, yes," JJ continued. "The scene from earlier was sort of a relapse. Different kind of freaking out this time."

"What happened?"

JJ was still feeling a bit uneasy in telling all of these things to Rossi's mother, but she also knew that the woman sitting next to her wouldn't stop questioning until she heard the whole truth. So she took another deep breath and went on.

"I better start at the beginning," JJ elaborated. "A few weeks ago, after we met at the mall, I was in hospital for a few days due to premature contractions. This was obviously what he needed to realize what he was about to lose. We talked, and I agreed on working things out with him. I told him that for mine and Henry's sake, I would have to take things slowly, but that I was nonetheless willing to let him into our lives. We were mostly talking on the phone from then on, as I'm not really comfortable yet with spending more time with him outside of work, but I really thought we were finally on the right track. Until he got all jealous and possessive with me a few minutes ago, which had nothing to do anymore with the baby steps he'd agreed to take with me."

Mrs. Rossi shook her head, understanding completely what JJ was saying. This behavior on her son was not new to her at all.
"Lapsing from one extreme into the other, that's typically David, I'm afraid to say."

JJ nodded. "Exactly."

"What was he accusing you of?" Rossi's mother kept inquiring.

"He suspected me of having an affair with a colleague, when he saw us standing in the breakroom together, yelling at poor Agent Anderson to keep his hands away from me and his baby. I know, after I've waited so long for it, I should really appreciate that he's finally referring to the baby as his, but the way he said it was just over the top."

Mrs. Rossi looked at her warmly, smiling gently, before she asked another question. "If you don't mind my asking, but you mentioned a Henry earlier."

JJ's face lit up at the mentioning of her boy's name. Smiling widely, she replied: "That's my son." She reached over to her desk and grabbed the framed photograph she'd put up there, and handed it over to Rossi's mother. The older woman's eyes began to shine.

"Oh, what a beautiful little boy! How old is he?"

"He's thirteen months old." JJ answered.

"What about his father?"

"He is not in the picture." JJ shook her head dismissively, and Mrs. Rossi seemed to understand what it meant.

"I'm so sorry. Now I'm even more upset with David for what he did. I'm sure he knows what you've been through with your
son's father, doesn't he? He should have known better than to make the same mistake!" She exasperated.

JJ nodded, remembering how Dave had stepped up and had been there for her after Will had left. Feeling Mrs. Rossi take her hand and squeeze it reassuringly, JJ felt an instant bond between them. She knew she could trust the other woman unconditionally. Rossi was damn lucky to have a mother like that, she thought. Seeing the sad look and disappointment in her eyes, JJ wanted to show her another side of her son. She fumbled in her purse, and took out her wallet to pull a photo of Rossi playing with Henry from it, which she had taken on one of the many evenings Rossi had spent with them after Will's departure.
"He loves Henry, you know. After his father left me, Dave was there for me like no one else. It makes it even more difficult for me to understand why he would act the way he did," JJ whispered, feeling the tears begin to form in her eyes.

They kept on chatting about how JJ and David had met, about her time with Will, and about how Dave had supported her after the end of her relationship with the cop for quite some time, and Mrs. Rossi grew angrier at her son with every minute, as she, much like JJ, could not comprehend, what made him act like this.

"His father would turn over in his grave, if he knew about David's behavior," Gracia Rossi muttered after a while. "This is not how we raised our son," she said almost apologetically.
JJ smiled at her. "I'm certain of that, Mrs. Rossi," she assured her.
Thinking for a moment, JJ realized at Mrs. Rossi's mentioning of her husband that she wanted to know more about the Rossi family. She noticed now that she and Dave had never actually talked in detail about his childhood or his family, about either of their lives before they had met. She knew he'd had a happy childhood, his love and admiration for his parents were shining through the few times he had talked about them and his past, but besides that, she practically didn't know anything about him at all.

Before she was able to ask, Dave's mother began to tell her about it, already having seen the questions on JJ's face. "David's father and I got married quite young. We both wanted to have a couple of children as soon as possible, but it took a few years until David finally arrived. I had already had two miscarriages when he came. After that I tried to get pregnant again, but when I lost another three baby's in the early stages of pregnancy, we both accepted that it wasn't meant to be. As sad as I was, as my husband and I both were, we settled in with our only son. He was such sweet boy, and after all we'd been through, he was special to us. We were so proud of him, all along the way, and we did the best we could to provide for him. We tried not to spoil him too much, but despite raising him with strong values, we also allowed him to have many liberties. I have to admit that I was never entirely happy with how he chose to live his life, and he made a lot of mistakes over all those years, but deep down, he has always been a good man." Her eyes became dark and clouded, and she added: "Until now."

"He's still a good man, Mrs. Rossi. He just forgets it sometimes, and then people around him get hurt." JJ said melancholy.

Gracia Rossi reached her hand out and gently patted JJ's cheek. Smiling sadly, she said: "I've always hoped that he would find a nice girl like you, even though he doesn't deserve you at all." JJ chuckled silently at Mrs. Rossi calling her a girl. It was something that hadn't happened in quite a while. She wanted to add to it, but Mrs. Rossi stopped her. "I know you can't and you won't just simply take him back after all he's done. I understand that, and I will accept and support every decision you make." The sad look in the old lady's eyes almost tore JJ apart. She didn't deserve to suffer for her son's stupidity, and JJ knew exactly what could make her feel better.

Taking her hand, she said softly: "Mrs. Rossi, I can promise you one thing. No matter what comes out of me and Dave, I want to make sure that our child knows his grandmother. He or she will be lucky to have a wonderful person like you in his or her life."
Mrs. Rossi's face immediately lit up again, as she whispered under tears: "Thank you, Jennifer."

Although she was still more than just a little bit mad with her son, she was just as happy that she was finally, after so many years and after almost giving up hope, becoming a grandmother. Looking into Mrs. Rossi's dark brown eyes that were now shining with happiness, JJ knew she was doing the right thing. Even if she and David might never be together as a couple, they were nevertheless connected through their child for all times. The mere thought of spending more time with him than at work still made her heart ache; no matter how much she missed him, she just couldn't forget that easily, how bad he had treated her, over the last months and again today.

"Thank you again, Jennifer," Gracia Rossi said affectionately, and leaned over to pull JJ in a tight hug.

"Not at all, Mrs. Rossi," JJ replied softly.

"I think it's time for you to call me Mama. As far as I'm concerned, you're family now. And I hope that I can make David see reason and get him to understand that as well."

JJ smiled at her gently and nodded. With her help, she knew they could get out of this as friends again. She didn't want to think of anything further yet, that was something only time would be able to tell, but for the sake of their child, she wanted them to be friends.

"Now I'm going to have to pay my son another visit," Gracia Rossi continued, standing up from her chair. Taking JJ into another tight embrace, she said: "I hope we will meet again soon."

"We will," JJ ensured her.

TBC

nach oben springen

in Fanfiction englisch 04.10.2010 00:10

Chapter 21

Gracia Rossi entered her son's office without even bothering to knock first. Inside, she found David still sitting on his couch, the bottle of Scotch still in his hands. He hadn't moved since Hotch had left the room, and was only pulled out of his deep thoughts, when he heard his mother yelling: "Are you actually drinking in your office, David Rossi? In broad daylight? Are you completely out of your mind?"
His head jerked up and he saw her standing in the door, her hands on her hips and a deathly glare in her eyes. Usually, he never cared about what his mother thought of his drinking habits; she had expressed her displeasure with his liking of some good old Scotch every on more than one occasion, and it was one of the few things he normally chose to ignore.
This time, however, it only added to his guilty conscience, and he already began to think of an excuse, when he heard her continue: "But what am I expecting? You're not quite known for making wise decisions at the moment." She stomped over to him and yanked the bottle out of his hand, slamming it violently onto his desk.
Closing the door, she went back to sit down next to him. "Answer me! What's going on in that stupid mind of yours?" She demanded roughly, smacking him on the back of his head.

"I'm sorry, Mama." Rossi muttered remorsefully, lowering his head again to avoid looking into her eyes. He couldn't bear to see the disappointment again, and and he wished once again that he had handled things differently from the beginning.

"Don't apologize to me, apologize to Jennifer! From what she just told me, you will have to get on your knees and beg for forgiveness more than once."

"I will, Mama," he whispered.

There was a long silence, and Mrs. Rossi eyed her son closely from the side. Clearly, the consequences of his actions had taken their toll on on him, she noticed. His hair was grayer, his eyes more tired, and there were more wrinkles on his face than before.
After a few minutes, she began to speak again. "So, I'm finally becoming a grandmother." Her voice had softened, and the contentment at this prospect could not be missed. Surprised at her sudden change of demeanor, Dave raised his head.

"I'm sorry you had to learn about it this way. We never intended to keep this from you, Mama," he said softly.

"I know, son. Jennifer told me everything. What I want to know is, are you going to be the father this child needs you to be?" Mrs. Rossi questioned.

"If JJ told you everything, then she probably also let you know that we've already worked this out." Rossi replied quietly.

"She did, but I want to hear it from you. Are you going to be the father this child needs and deserves?" Her voice began to sound a bit impatient.

"Of course, Mama!" Dave stated firmly, his tone leaving no doubt about his sincerity on that subject.

"Good. Now, should I ever hear or see the slightest indication that could prove otherwise, I will make you personally dig your grave before I kill you and throw you into it, you hear me?"

"Yes, Mama," he murmured.

After another few silent moments, Dave reached out to take his mother's hand. He tugged it gently between his palms and whispered, still avoiding her gaze: "I'm so sorry, Mama. I never meant to hurt or to disappoint you."

"David, I already told you. It's not me you have to apologize to," Mrs. Rossi said.

Looking straight into her eyes for the first time since she'd entered his office, he went on: "I heard you, and I will go see JJ as soon as our talk is over, but I also have to say this to you. I am really sorry for what I've done and for how badly I've failed you. I hope you can forgive me."

Smiling gently, she cupped his cheek with a warm hand, and told him: "It's in a mother's nature to forgive their children almost anything, son. I appreciate your words, Davey." Stroking his cheek, she went on: "I love you, and I'm very proud of you, despite your recent behavior. But be assured that I will not tolerate such a behavior again!"

Dave smiled back weakly and bent over to give her a kiss on the cheek. "Thank you, Mama. I don't deserve this."

"Don't thank me. You're lucky that the prospect of finally having a grandchild in a few weeks outweighs your sins for the moment."

"I swear, I will never act like that again," Dave assured her.

They both stood up and walked towards the door. With a look on the bottle of Scotch on David's desk, his mother demanded:
"And you will stop with the drinking as well! Especially on the job!"

Exiting his office, he asked: "Is there anything I can do for you right now, Mama?"

"You can walk me to the elevators," she answered dryly.

They passed the bullpen, and Mrs. Rossi said goodbye to everyone, and with a concerned glance at Reid, she added: "And you can make sure that this boy eats a good share of the cake I left in your breakroom. He's too skinny." Dave chuckled at that, and wondered at that thought why his mother was actually here at the BAU.

"By the way, Mama. Why did you come here today in the first place?"

"Well, I thought you could use a nice piece of apple pie after a bad case," she answered, looking away, which made him furrow his brows in suspicion.

"Mama, you've never done that before, so what gives?"

Sighing deeply, she admitted: "Fine, I wanted to see if I could invite Jennifer over for brunch on Sunday, as you were ignoring my requests for doing so for weeks. At least now I know why."

"Mama, I have already told you numerous times that I don't want you to interfere with my love life!" Dave burst out.

"Davey, as it turned out today, you are going to need all the help you can get in that area, although I highly doubt at the moment that Jennifer will ever be stupid enough to take you. No need to get worked up about it. Right now, all you should worry about is being a father to my grandchild. God help you if you screw this up for me! Now go and see Jennifer. I expect you to call me with an update as soon as you arrive home tonight. And I strongly suggest you keep me informed about everything that's going on from now on!" The tone in her voice left no room for debate, so Dave simply bent to kiss her cheek again, as the elevator arrived on their floor.

"I promise, Mama."

As soon as his mother had disappeared, he made his way to Jennifer's office. Knocking lightly on her door, he entered when he heard her call him in. Looking up from the file she was working on, she saw that it was exactly the person she'd expected it to be.

"So, I see you survived your mother's wrath?" JJ decided to clear the tense air with a small joke right away. She knew there was no point in yelling at each other, not after her talk with Rossi's mother.

"Just barely," he said, relieved that she obviously decided not to give him a hard time. "Listen, Jennifer, I want to apologize for earlier. I was an ass again, and I'm really sorry about that."

JJ got up from behind her desk and gestured him towards the two chairs she and his mother had been sitting in before. "Close the door and sit down, Dave."

When they were both seated, he began again. "Jennifer, I am truly sorry for my behavior today. I had no right to yell at you like that."

"You're right, you didn't," JJ stated matter-of-factly. "I told you to give me time to think, that we need to take things slowly, and shouting at me doesn't really help your case."

"I know, JJ. And I can promise you that it won't happen again. It's just... it's hard for me to see you with another man, to see him touch our baby while I don't get the chance to do it," he tried to explain.

"Dave, everyone on the team has touched my belly before, there's no need to freak out about it. And you have to admit that after all that you've done, it's a bit difficult for me to trust you again." JJ reasoned.

"Yeah, but Anderson is not the team!" Dave sighed deeply and added: "I guess I just got jealous."

"That you did," JJ snorted. There was a small pause before she continued.

"David, I need you to realize one thing. You and I, we are not an 'us', and to be honest, I don't know if we ever will be."

Seeing the disappointed look on his face as he avoided her gaze, she added: "Dave, look at me!" She waited until he did and then said softly: "We have both created this child and we will both forever be connected through our baby. You and I will both be responsible for raising him or her, and I can assure you that I will never exclude you from anything in our baby's life."

A small sign of hope appeared in his eyes, and he said: "Jennifer, I want us to be friends again."

Breathing in slowly, she replied: "I want that, too, Dave, but I need you to give me the time to learn to trust you again, okay?"

"Okay," he nodded. He would agree to anything to get her back into his life permanently. "But I can only show you that I am indeed trustworthy when I get to spend more time with you again. I miss you, Jennifer," he insisted.

Knowing that he was right, she answered: "Fine, why don't we start with spending our lunch breaks together again? And then we'll see, okay?"

"So, I take it, inviting you over to my mother's for brunch next Sunday would be a bit too pushing?"

"I'll think about it." She smiled at him and they were both relieved and happy that they were looking at a brighter future together.

"Ehm, I guess you still have a lot of work to do, so I'll just leave you to it again. Call me if you need anything." David concluded then, stood up and walked over to the door.

Getting up from her chair as well, JJ felt the baby kick.

"David!" She called him back, closing the few steps between them.

"What is it?"

She took his hand and laid it onto her belly. "Can you feel it?"

Dave stared in awe at his hand on her eight-month pregnant bump. "Wow... that's … our baby!" He whispered barely audible. He closed his eyes for a few seconds and relished the feel of his son's or daughter's kicks against his hand, realizing that he'd never felt something so wonderful before. "You really don't know what it's going to be?" He asked softly.

JJ shook her head. "No, I want it to be a surprise this time. Also, my doctor said that the baby has been doing a pretty good job with hiding his identity so far. Even he is not a hundred percent sure what it's going to be."

"I'd be happy with either a boy or a girl." Dave said.

"But?"

"No but, as long as the baby's healthy I'll take what we get." Seeing the wide and happy smile on JJ's face, he added:
"Though I have to admit that I'd love to have a little girl who looks just like her mother." He rubbed her belly gently, and
pressed a small kiss onto it.

"Thank you, Jennifer, for sharing this with me." He wanted to pull her into a tight hug, but he knew that he'd overstep a line she wasn't ready to cross yet.

"I'm glad you're finally coming to your senses, Dave."

There was an awkward moment of silence, when neither of them knew what to say.

"Well, I'll get back to my files then." JJ said quickly.

"Sure. I need to get some work done myself. Well, bye then."

"Bye."

"Would you mind if I walked you to your car later?" Dave asked before he stepped out finally.

JJ smiled, and shook her head. "Not at all."

TBC

nach oben springen

in Fanfiction englisch 05.10.2010 21:43

Chapter 22

The rest of the weeks until Christmas went by rather quiet. Even the serial killers out there seemed to have decided to take a break, and the team stayed mostly at their headquarters in Quantico. Especially Rossi was quite happy about that, because it meant staying closer to Jennifer.
JJ began to feel more and more comfortable with him again. They used their lunchbreaks for long talks, and JJ was pretty happy that Rossi was getting back to being the person he used to be before her pregnancy. Still, there was this small voice of doubt in the back of her mind, which constantly reminded her of everything that had happened between them, and it made it quite hard for her to fully trust him again. There was always the possibility that he pulled back from her and their baby again, just as suddenly and unexpected as he had before, and as much as she wanted to believe in him, for as long as she still had these doubts, she had to guard her heart, because there was no way she would survive such a rejection for a second time.

The team had turned out to be wonderfully supportive of both of them, which was something JJ really appreciated. She was especially pleased to see that the tension between them and Rossi seemed to have faded. While she never knew exactly how bad they had treated him, she'd always sensed that things had been pretty difficult among them ever since they knew the truth. It was good to see that they had obviously worked out whatever kind of problems they had, and were now functioning together again. They had spent a couple of evenings all together after work, having dinner at a restaurant, and simply relaxing for a few hours, being able to focus on other things than the atrocities of their job.

As she and Dave were sitting in the cafeteria for lunch once again, JJ wondered not for the first time if it had been the right decision to keep things from them for so long. Who knew if she and Rossi wouldn't have been able to come to peaceful terms a lot earlier if they'd had the support of their friends from the begin on? They couldn't change it anymore, though, and JJ knew she had more important things to do than to agonize over what ifs.

"Penny for your thoughts," Rossi said, breaking the silence that had been between them for a few moments.

"Huh?" JJ's head jerked up.

"You were pretty far away. What were you thinking about?" He asked with an amused smile.

"Oh, nothing," JJ answered, too quickly to be believable, and tried to focus on the food in front of her again.

"Don't nothing me, JJ. What's going on in your mind?" Dave persisted softly.

JJ sighed. "It's just that I still haven't told my parents about us. I told them briefly on the phone that you and I are trying to work things out, but they still don't even know your name, or that we're working together. I just didn't have the nerves for a discussion yet that will certainly follow once they know everything."

"Do you want me to be with you, when you talk to them?" Rossi wanted to know.

"Do you want my father to shoot you?" JJ asked back. Rossi grinned. Surely it wouldn't be that bad, would it?

Seeing his unbelieving face, JJ explained: "Seriously, Dave. I'm sure it's better if I talked to them alone. They're quite conservative people, and it's bad enough for them that I'm expecting the second child from the second man without being married. My Daddy certainly wouldn't hesitate to kill the man who hurt his little girl so much, if he was sitting right in front of him when he hears the news. It will be better to give them some time to absorb everything and calm down before they'll meet you. And believe me, they will want to meet you at some point!"

"Jennifer, I want to be there for you. And if your parents are going to give you a hard time-," Dave started, but was interrupted by JJ.

"They won't! They're wonderful people, Dave. They just didn't entirely approve of the way I chose to live my life, and that's a thing we will never agree on, but they've always been a hundred percent supportive of me."

"Okay, JJ. But if you need any help, you can call me and I'll be there as soon as possible." Dave gave in.

"Thanks Dave, I appreciate that," JJ smiled at him. It was getting harder and harder to ignore the warm feeling in her stomach that he seemed to be able to create with a simple look. One day she would have to have a serious conversation with her feelings, and decide what she was going to do with them, but not now. Not before the baby was here. The more urgent problem at the moment was to bring her parents up to speed.

JJ knew she couldn't put off talking to them for much longer, and she felt guilty for having kept things from them for so long. Especially since Rossi's mother knew everything, she felt it was only fair if her own mother and father got to learn about it as well. She was briefly toying with the idea of not telling them until after the baby was born, hoping that maybe the joy over their grandchild would overlap their anger towards Rossi, but she also knew that if they found our that they'd been kept in the dark significantly longer than everyone else, they'd be truly and rightfully disappointed.
Perhaps Christmas would be a good time to catch them up with everything.

TBC

nach oben springen

in Fanfiction englisch 07.10.2010 23:51

Chapter 23

JJ's parents were staying with her and Henry for Christmas this year. Normally, she would spend the Holidays at their house in Pennsylvania, but after her hospitalization, she was advised not to travel longer distances, and she surely didn't want to take a risk.
The team had a small pre-Christmas party at the office on the 23rd, and then everyone headed off to their own families. Morgan flew to Chicago to visit his mother and sisters, Reid went off to Las Vegas to see his mother, Prentiss expected her mother, Hotch spent the time with Jack, and Garcia had persuaded Kevin to fly somewhere with a lot of sun and a beach.

Rossi had thought about asking JJ if they could celebrate Christmas together, but hadn't expressed this idea when she told him that her parents were coming. He realized that she needed time alone with them to get them up to date, but he made a mental note to call her every day to see how she was doing.

JJ was quite nervous when her parents arrived on Christmas Eve. She wanted to get the talk over with as fast as possible, so they could enjoy the rest of the Holidays together.

"Jennifer, sweetheart! You look so much better than last time!" Mary-Ann Jareau exclaimed as JJ opened the door to let them in. Her mother pulled her into a tight hug and stroked gently over her hair, before she stepped inside and immediately sought out Henry. After embracing her father as well, JJ stepped aside and closed the door once he was inside.

"Mom, Dad, I've already prepared the guest room for you. You can put your things in there," JJ told them, reaching for Henry, who was happily squirming in his grandmother's arms. "Let me have him so that you can get settled, Mom," she said, clearly sounding more nervous at the upcoming talk than she thought she would be.

"Jenny, you're being jittery. Are you okay?" Robert Jareau asked a bit suspiciously.

"Yeah, sure," JJ lied.

Seeing that her father didn't believe her and was about to retort something, she quickly added: "Listen, I've got to talk to you about something, but I want you to get comfortable first. I'll fix us some coffee and then we can sit down on the couch, okay?"

"Jennifer, honey. Does this have something to do with what you mentioned on the phone recently? That you're back together with the baby's father?" Mary-Ann Jareau questioned.

"We're not together, Mom, but yes, it has to do with him. Would you please get out of your coats now and go into the living room? I really don't want to do this while we're standing here in the hall." JJ insisted.

Ten minutes later they were all seated around the living room table. JJ had made some coffee – decaf as she had to assure her parents – and was searching for the right words to start. Before she could do so, however, her father spoke again.

"You really have a way of attacking us with bad news."

"Robert, we don't even know yet if it is bad news," Mary-Ann tried to calm her husband down, laying a soothing hand on his forearm. JJ took a deep breath and then slowly began her explanation.

"Mom, Daddy, I'm not sure how you're going to take what I have to say, but please don't interrupt me, okay?" Seeing them nod, she went on, swallowing heavily, and then told them the whole story, from start to finish. Her parents' eyes widened more and more with every word she said, and when she ended, there was a deafening silence at first, as they processed everything they'd just heard. Their faces were unreadable, the expressions a mixture between anger, surprise and concern, and JJ didn't really know anymore how they would react now. She had been sure that their biggest concern would be that their daughter was involved with someone she worked with, which is why she conveniently left out to mention David's age, because that would most certainly be too much for them.

Much to her surprise, though, her parents stayed calmer then she'd expected.

"Jennifer, sweetheart, why didn't you tell us all of this earlier?" Her mother asked.

"Yeah," her father added. "I would have paid this scumbag a visit with my shotgun for hurting my girl so badly. In fact, I could still do it. Where does he live, Jenny?"

"Daddy, please!" JJ groaned, only to be interrupted by her mother.

"You know that I'm not that happy with your way of life, sleeping with your colleague and all when there are certainly rules against that in the FBI, but I won't judge you for it. It's your life and you can live it any way you want. But it makes me sad that you didn't tell us earlier. You should have told us when we were here last time."

"Mom, I know. And I'm sorry about that. But I was really afraid that Daddy would hurt David."

"Damn right I would have. I told you back then that I'm going to kill this guy, and I'm still standing by it." Robert Jareau grumbled.

"Daddy, please! Leave it alone. David has made quite a few mistakes and I was deeply hurt and disappointed by it, but it's not all his fault. I'm sure I've made mistakes, too. Besides, as I've said a couple of times now, we're in the process of working things out and becoming friends again."

At her daughter's almost desperate uttered words, Mary-Ann Jareau realized that Jennifer's feelings for her coworker ran much deeper than mere friendship.

"You're in love with him, am I right?" she stated.

"No!" JJ answered much too quickly to sound convincing.

"I think you are, darling. You can deny it, but your eyes give you away, when you speak about him," her mother said softly.

"Is that true, Jenny?" Her father asked.

"No... I mean... I don't know," JJ sighed. "I guess I was in love with him before we spent the night together. I mean, he was like my best friend after Will had left, always there for me and Henry, and I could easily imagine having more with him. But he hurt me so much that I still have problems with trusting him again. I honestly don't know what I want at the moment, and I don't really want to think about my feelings for him right now. We're on our way to having our friendship back, and this, plus the fact that we're soon going to be raising a baby together, is enough for me to deal with for now. Can you understand that?"

Both her parents nodded at their daughter's pleading looks.

"Fine, but I still want to meet this guy," Robert Jareau insisted.

"You will, Daddy," JJ smiled. "But only if you promise to behave and not to hurt him."

"We'll see," he answered grumpily, already knowing that he would never deny his girl any request.

They continued talking about David and the baby for quite a while, and JJ also told them about Rossi's mother, whom their parents also insisted to meet as soon as possible.

"I want to know the people my grandchild will be spending time with after all," was her mother's comment on that.

JJ's parents had turned out to be more understanding than she had thought they would be. She had actually expected her mother to demand altering her lifestyle to fit more with her conservative views, which meant getting married to Rossi now that she knew they were approaching each other again, so she appreciated it a lot that she left it be for now. JJ was sure, though, that she would bring the topic up one day, most likely as soon as the baby was here.

As JJ had predicted, they were pretty disappointed, because she hadn't told them everything earlier. Explaining to them that she hadn't wanted to hear their reproaches and that she also hadn't wanted to worry them, JJ was relieved that her parents understood in the end.

After a while, their talk faded into a chat about lighter topics, about Henry, or how things were going in Pennsylvania, and before they knew it, it was dinner time. Mary-Ann insisted on preparing supper, while JJ and her father played with Henry until JJ's phone rang.

Peeking at the display, JJ saw that it was Rossi.

"Hi Dave," she answered at the third ring. Seeing her father's curious and not so pleased glances as he realized who the caller was, JJ stood up and walked over to her bedroom. It was not necessary that the old man overheard what she was talking with Dave while he was most likely still angry about him.

"Hey Jennifer. Are you having a good day?" Rossi greeted her.

"Yes, now I do." JJ answered.

"So, you already talked to your parents? How did they take it?" He wanted to know, sounding a bit concerned as he hoped they hadn't lashed out at her.

"Better than I thought, actually. We're okay," JJ told him.

"That's good to hear," he said relieved. "I... I just called to check on you. You okay?"

"Yes, I am." JJ smiled when she heard his words.

"And the baby's okay, too?"

"Yeah."

"And Henry?"

"Henry too," she chuckled.

"Good." Dave sounded content.

"And how are you?" JJ wanted to know from him.

"I'm fine," he replied quickly. He was about to say something else, when he heard JJ's mother calling in the background.

"I'm sorry, Dave," JJ apologized right away. "I gotta go. Dinner's ready. Is there something else you wanted?"

Yeah, I want to be with you and Henry, he thought, but he didn't say it out loud. Instead he answered. "No, not really. I'll call again tomorrow if that's okay with you."

"Sure," JJ said, having a feeling that there was more. "Dave, you're not alone right now, are you?" She'd never liked it, when someone had to spend Christmas on his own.

"Not for long. My mother's coming over and we'll attend Christmas Mass later," he said. Hearing the concern in her voice, he quickly added: "And tomorrow she's going to drag me to brunch with the whole family. There'll be quite a few aunts and uncles and cousins that I haven't seen in a while. And haven't missed for that matter, but my mother insists that I go with her."

"Good," JJ smiled. She was relieved, for her own sake, that he wasn't alone over the Holidays, because she probably would have invited him over if he were, and she wasn't sure if she or her parents were ready for that yet.

"Well then, dinner's waiting. Merry Christmas, David."

"Merry Christmas, Jennifer. Call me if you need anything, will you?"

"Of course. Thanks for the call, Dave," she gave back.

"Anytime," he replied, and before he could stop himself, he added: "It was nice to hear your voice." Hoping that this hadn't been too pushing, he blew out a breath, when he heard her answer:

"Yours too, David."

TBC

nach oben springen

in Fanfiction englisch 29.10.2010 20:49

Keine Ahnung, ob hier überhaupt noch jemand mitliest oder wer, aber für alle die's nicht wissen: mein Laptop war in Reparatur, deswegen konnte ich länger kein Update posten. Aber jetzt gehts wieder mehr oder weniger regelmäßig weiter. Hoffe natürlich, dass die Geschichte auch weiterhin interessiert ;-).
--------

Chapter 24

The rest of the Holidays went by quietly for both the Jareau and the Rossi family. JJ enjoyed the time together with her parents very much. It was nice being taken care of for a few days without having to worry about anything, and Dave's daily phone calls were just the icing on the cake, even though she still had a hard time to admit it. However, she felt her resistance resolve with every call, which was something even Rossi couldn't miss when he talked to her.

The team had stretched staying out of the office until the new year, but Dave made sure to call JJ at least once or twice a day. Every once in a while she would also let him speak with Henry, and hearing the little boy's happy squeals through the phone melted Dave's heart every time. He wished he could be there with them, and almost asked JJ once if he could come over, but then his mother had demanded his attention with some repairing in her house, and he had to delay it.

JJ also spoke with Mrs. Rossi a few times, and the older woman had invited her, Henry, and her parents over for a New Year's brunch, but then Henry got sick with an ear infection and it had to be canceled as well. As much as she realized that she and Dave began to grow together again, JJ was secretly relieved about that. She simply didn't know if she could cope with a confrontation between her parents and Rossi yet in her very pregnant condition, as she was sure she'd have to serve as a mediator between them. Especially since she was not certain at all if Gracia Rossi would actually take her son's side, she did not want to be the only one defending him, which she knew she would feel obligated to do in front of her parents. She was already doing it anyway, making him appear in a better light, so that their eventual meeting would hopefully take place in a civilized manner.

Therefore, it wasn't until the first Monday in January that JJ and Rossi saw each other again in the office.

JJ's parents had gone back home, very reluctantly at first when Henry had gotten sick, but JJ had assured them that she and her son and the baby would be fine. The baby wasn't due until the end of January, and she wanted to make the most of the remaining time without having to focus on her parents as well. She still needed to find a replacement for herself on the team for the time of her maternity leave, and this time she wanted to catch up with all of her paperwork before she was gone.

Walking into the bullpen this morning, JJ hoped that she would get a fill-in as soon as possible, as she would still need to instruct him or her with the team's work. She had asked Agent Todd again, who would have been happy to help her out if she hadn't been posted at the other side of the country for a few months. It would have been easier for the team as well, getting someone who they already knew and who they had previously worked well with, but she couldn't help it. Now she needed to find someone as adept as Jordan Todd, who would make the time until her return pass faster.

As soon as she had come out of the elevator, Dave had spotted her. He had fixed himself some coffee and was on his way back to his office, when she came in, carrying a thickly wrapped Henry in her arms. He went over to her immediately.

"Good morning, Jennifer, hey little man," he greeted them, stroking a gentle finger over Henry's cheeks, and taking JJ's huge bag out of her hand.

"Morning, Dave," JJ pressed out. Her little boy was getting quite big and heavy.

"Why did you bring Henry?" Dave wanted to know.

"I have a doctor's appointment with him in two hours," JJ explained. Looking into a concerned face, she quickly added: "He's fine. It's just another checkup after his infection. I thought I'd bring him right with me, so that I don't have to pick him up after my meeting with a few potential replacements for myself in twenty minutes. Now I just have to find someone to watch him until my meeting's over."

"I can do it," Rossi offered right away.

"Dave, you don't have to-," JJ started to object, but was interrupted by him at once.

"Jennifer, please! I want to do it. I want to spend some time with him again, not just hear him over the phone." Seeing her doubting look, he continued: "I'm going to take good care of him for the next two hours, I promise." And in Henry's direction, he said: "We're going to have some great fun, don't we, little man?" He nudged the boy's hand and let him wrap it around his index finger. Henry gleefully squealed "Da-da" again, and JJ knew in this moment that she couldn't say no anymore. Every time she heard her son refer to Dave as "Da-da", she wondered if trusting his instincts was exactly what she needed to do.

She had previously tried to make Henry say "Uncle Dave" instead of "Da-da", but her son steadily refused to listen to her.
"Fine," she smiled then, letting Dave take the boy out of her arms. "But no strenuous games, Dave. Henry's still not a hundred percent back on track. And you deal with Garcia when she hears that her godson was in the office and she wasn't the one to babysit him!"

"I'll deal with everything and everyone if I have to," Rossi replied a little absently, focusing totally on making funny faces for Henry rather than to listening to what she told him.

"All right then, let me just have my Blackberry from the bag and I'll be gone. There are diapers and some toys for Henry in the bag if you need them, and I've also prepared a bottle with some tea for him that you might need to heat up a bit. If there's anything wrong with him, I want you to call me immediately!"

"We got it all covered, JJ. Now go, before you're too late for your meeting."

"I mean it, Dave. You call me as soon as he has the slightest coughs, you hear me?"

"I will! And we'll be fine! I promise!" Dave assured her.

JJ bent over and kissed Henry gently goodbye, and before she knew what she was doing, she also gave David a quick peck on the cheek. When she realized it, she blushed deeply and walked away with a simple "Thanks, Dave."

Rossi looked after her with a wide grin on his face. "Well, munchkin, your Mama and I are definitely in the same boat again.

Oh yes," he muttered contently, walking up to his office with Henry.

TBC

nach oben springen

in Fanfiction englisch 03.11.2010 17:50

Chapter 25

"So, what do you want to do first, munchkin?" Dave asked Henry once he'd closed the office door behind them. Henry let out a few happy squeals for an answer and reached out his little arms to throw them around Dave's neck as best as he could in his thick winter clothes.

"What do you say, we're gonna get you out of a couple of your clothes first, and then we'll take a look at the things your Mama packed into this bag for you."

He put the bag down on the floor and laid Henry carefully onto his couch. Easing him out of his jacket, he noticed – not for the first time – how much the boy actually resembled Jennifer.

"Good for him," Dave murmured with a disdainful thought of LaMontagne.

Taking Henry onto his lap, he smiled widely as the boy latched onto him. Henry was highly fascinated by Dave's beard, squeaking enthusiastically as he grabbed it with both hands, and making even louder and more joyful noises when Dave playfully nibbled on his little fingers. There was no doubt that Henry enjoyed being with him, and the same could be said for Dave.

Looking into Henry's baby blue eyes, which were probably the most prominent feature he had in common with his mother, Dave's thoughts wandered to their unborn child. What would he or she look like? Who would it resemble more, him or Jennifer?
He couldn't wait to meet his child. His child. The thought of him becoming a father, of him being responsible for an innocent human being, still scared him more than he wanted to admit. It also felt strangely unreal to him that he and Jennifer had created one little person together. But he also knew that he had to swallow his fear. It might have taken him a while to realize it, but now that he had, nobody and nothing was going to stop him from being the best father he possibly could.
When he had felt his baby's movements for the first time a few weeks back, he hadn't been able to sleep all night. He couldn't believe how his life had been turned upside down, couldn't imagine how much it was going to change even more when the baby would finally be here, and he'd seriously wondered if he was dreaming all of this, as if the events of the past months hadn't been proof enough for him.

Getting more and more comfortable with Jennifer again had eased his fears and concerns a bit. Between the two of them, they should be able to take good care of their child and Henry.

Dave had every intention of including the boy in his life, of being the same caring father for him that he would be for his own child. Now all he had to do was to convince Jennifer of that, to convince her of his sincerity, and not to let himself be overpowered by his fears again.

Henry's hands finding his nose and pinching it curiously brought him back into reality.

"You obviously believe in me, don't you, munchkin?" he said softly as Henry squealed: "Da-da!" again. "That's right, Henry! That's Dada's nose! Can you say 'nose', Henry?"

Standing up from the couch with Henry securely pressed to his chest, Dave began to dig into JJ's bag to retrieve a teddy bear, a storybook, and a toy car. He sat Henry down on the floor, and watched him as he immediately crawled to the bag to pull out all the contents. Within minutes, Dave's office was a total mess, but much to his own surprise, it didn't bother him at all. Henry squealed with glee every time he found a new item in this miraculous bag, handed them all over to Dave, who patiently explained what they all were – a diaper, a blanket, a spoon, cookies, and many things more.

They became so engrossed in examining all the contents that Dave almost didn't hear the knock on the door.
Hotch came in and nearly fell back out again as he saw Dave and Henry sitting on the floor in the middle of the biggest disarray he'd ever seen in his friend's office.

"What's going on here?" he asked with obvious surprise in his voice.

"What does it look like, Aaron?" Dave gave back without taking his eyes off of Henry. "Henry and I are having some fun. Isn't that right, munchkin?"

"Da-da!" was all Henry let out as an answer, nodding eagerly in agreement, as he threw a diaper at Dave.
Hotch was floored. Seeing David Rossi surrounded by chaos, playing with a little child, and apparently enjoying himself in doing so, wasn't anything he'd expected to witness. It made him feel relieved and also a bit happy, though, knowing that his old friend was finally accepting and growing into his new role.

"Did you want something, Aaron?" Dave asked when Hotch didn't say anything else.

"Yeah, I was looking for the Gillman file. Morgan said you have it."

"It's on my desk somewhere between the other files," Dave said, motioning with his head into the direction without bothering to get up himself to give Hotch the file.

Carefully, as to not stepping on anything, Hotch took the few steps to Dave's desk and retrieved the file from underneath the pile.

"Why's Henry here, by the way?" he wanted to know.

"JJ's got a doctor's appointment with him this morning and already brought him with her. I'm watching him until her meeting is over." Dave explained, stopping Henry from taking a pencil into his mouth.

"Well, I'll leave you two at... whatever you're doing," Hotch concluded, walking out again. Before he closed the the door, he turned around and said: "It suits you, Dave. The father role, I mean. Don't screw it up again."

After Hotch was gone again, Dave noticed that Henry was getting sleepy. The infection from a few days ago was evidently still taking its toll on him.

"Come, Henry. What do you say, we're gonna get comfortable on that couch again, and take a look at your book?" Pulling Henry and the book up, he sat down on the sofa with him, holding him in his lap, and began to turn page after page, telling Henry little stories to every picture in there. It didn't take long, and the boy was getting more and more quiet, until he finally slumbered peacefully in Dave's arms. Dave put the book away and laid down on his back, bringing Henry to his chest, and closing his eyes himself.

That was how JJ found them eventually after her meeting.

It had gone fairly well, with two candidates for her temporary replacement having turned out, whom she promised to contact with a decision within the next few days.
As soon as they had been done, JJ walked over to David's office. She was not sure what she'd expected to find when she got there, but it was definitely not what her eyes were greeted with when she opened the door.
Gasping, she stared at the mess on the floor, seeing each and every single content of her bag spread there. Before she could say anything about it, however, her eyes fell onto the couch, where Dave was laying, his arms securely wrapped around her son, who was sleeping soundly on top of him. She took a few moments to take in the sight as her heart jumped with joy at what she was witnessing.

Admittedly, she'd had a few doubts as to whether Dave was the right person to watch Henry, of if he was really willing to walk the talk, and she was still hesitant about how to proceed with him. But seeing him and Henry in front of her like this put her mind at rest for now. Maybe there was a future for them after all.

Dave had sensed her come in at once, her scent flooding the office as soon as she'd opened the door. Not wanting to wake Henry, he held still, keeping his eyes closed and waiting for her to say something.
After a couple of moments, he heard her come over, kneeling down next to him and Henry.

At her softly whispered "Hey" he opened his eyes and looked at her.

"Hey," he whispered back, not knowing what else to say, her face only a few inches away from his own.

"I take it you to had quite some fun, huh?" she observed, smiling widely at him and pointing at the chaos on his floor.

"Yeah, well," Dave grinned sheepishly. "He liked your bag." He smiled back at her, causing her heartbeat to speed up.

"Damn, this man is confusing," she thought to herself. Standing up before she did something she might regret later, she said:
"I hate to disturb this little party here, but we gotta go to the doctor's now." She gently took her son into her arms, who woke up immediately when he felt losing contact with Dave's warm chest. Letting out a few displeased whimpers, he was held closely by his mother rubbing his back soothingly.

"I'll clean up the mess," Dave said, getting up from the couch, collecting the various items spread around his office and putting them back into the bag, while JJ got Henry ready.

"Thanks, Dave. For everything."

"No need to thank me, Jennifer. It was my pleasure." He was debating with himself if he should say more, if he should ask her to let him spend more time with Henry, but he left it alone for the moment, as he didn't want to discuss this with her in a hurry. While he finished up with her bag, disappointment that he was going to have to spend the rest of the day alone again was building up in him.

"Let me walk you down to your car, okay?" he offered softly, shouldering her bag, when he saw her nod.
Down in the parking garage, he helped her strap Henry into his car seat. Pressing a gentle kiss onto his forehead, he whispered: "Bye, munchkin, be good for your Mama."

He sighed deeply before turning around to JJ. He just hoped he was going to see the boy more often in the near future.

"Thank you for letting me watch him." He smiled gently at Jennifer.

"You don't have to thank me, David. I'm glad you were there."

"Well, see you later then. Are you going to bring him back in again after the doctor's?"

JJ shook her head: "No, I'll leave him with the nanny. And tomorrow he should be fine to stay at the daycare again. See you after lunch, Dave. And thanks again, I really appreciate it." She turned to get into her car, when she suddenly felt herself being pulled into his arms.

Taken by surprise, she tensed up for a second, but the warm feeling of his strong arms made her relax instantly, and she hugged him back. It lasted only a few moments until he pulled back, and JJ felt almost disappointed at the loss of contact. The memories of how good it had felt to lay in his arms filled her mind and made her want to scream for more.

"I'm sorry, Jennifer, I shouldn't have done that," Dave apologized, dispersing the good feeling again, She knew he was only following her requests to keep his distance, but it left her confused, and also a bit angry with herself. She wanted to throw herself back into his arms, let herself be held by him, but at the same time, her mind told her to be careful, to take things slowly.

Seeing his uncertain look, she realized that he was just as confused as she was. He had made it clear what he wanted, but trusting him was still incredibly hard for her. But she also realized that it wouldn't get any easier, if she kept pushing him away.

"It's okay, Dave," she said finally, smiling warmly at him, and made a mental note to spend as much time with him as she could in the next few weeks before their baby arrived, knowing that it would be the only way to learn to trust him again.
The baby, however, had other plans with them.

TBC

nach oben springen

in Fanfiction englisch 04.11.2010 11:27

Chapter 26

Two days later, JJ had made her decision regarding her replacement, and had taken most of the day showing the new liaison around, introducing her to the team, and explaining her how they worked at the BAU. The new agent was then supposed to be shadowing her for the next two weeks until JJ's maternity leave officially began, to get a feeling for how JJ was handling her job.

But things hardly ever went as they were planned.

When her replacement had left the office, it was already shortly after six o'clock. Normally, JJ would go home herself now, especially since they didn't have a case, but she decided to wrap a little bit of her paperwork up as she didn't know if she would have time to do it with another agent breathing down her neck for the next couple of days.

She hadn't felt quite well all day, and was tempted to just leave things for the next day and go home, but knowing that it wasn't much anymore, she told herself to hang on for another hour or two.
Walking through the bullpen an hour later and distributing a few case files on her colleagues' desks, she realized that everybody else had already left. Even Hotch's office was dark, and that didn't happen too often, as he was not only their unit chief, but also the most notorious workaholic on their team.

"Jennifer, what are you still doing here?" she suddenly heard a voice from behind and jerked around.

"Jesus, Dave! Why are you sneaking up on me like that? Can't you announce yourself?" She blew out, startled.

"I'm sorry, JJ. I didn't meant to spook you," Rossi apologized contritely. "But seriously, why aren't you at home? It's past seven!" There was an underlying accusing tone in his voice that JJ usually tended to ignore, but as she wasn't at her best today, she was a bit annoyed with it, which was pretty much like her answer came out: "Not that it's any of your business, but I just wanted to finish a few things. I am practically on my way out."

"Sorry I asked," Dave muttered shortly, realizing that she was not in the best mood. He knew she was better left alone at moments like this, but when he noticed that she was rubbing a hand over her belly, and the other one over the small of her back, he felt concern rising in himself.

"What's wrong, Jennifer?" he asked worriedly.

"Nothing. Everything's fine. I just have an overactive baby today and a dragging pain in my lower back, probably from sitting at my desk," she explained quickly.

"Are you sure that's all? Maybe you should go and see a doctor?"

"Yes, I'm sure! Nothing to worry about." Her answer came out with more force than she'd intended it to, so she added in a calmer tone: "It's nothing that a long, hot bath couldn't take care of."
Dave wasn't quite convinced yet. Trying to argue with her, he was brushed off as she simply turned and kept placing the rest of the files on various desks.

"Jennifer! If you're not feeling well, you should go home and get some rest. Tomorrow's another day." He followed her through the bullpen and up to Hotch's office, where she dropped off the last folder.

"Dave, please! You're starting to get on my nerves! I'm just a little tired and on my way out now, okay?" she sighed.

"Let me drive you home then. You shouldn't be driving in your condition anyway."

"Are you trying to piss me off, David? I'm pregnant, not sick!"

"JJ, please let me drive you home," he almost begged her, having another little motive in mind. "I could help you with Henry, while you relax and have your bath."

JJ wanted to shout at him for pushing her, but the memories of him and her boy in his office from two days ago popped up in her mind and calmed her down somewhat.

"I'm sorry, Dave. I didn't mean to snap at you," she said quietly as they went back to her office.

Opening the door, she suddenly winced as a sharp pain rushed through her stomach. Stumbling in, she grabbed the back of a chair to hold onto.

"Ouch! That hurt!" She pressed out through clenched teeth.

"JJ, Jennifer, what's wrong? What is it, honey?" Dave called out, alarmed, slipping a strong arm around her waist to steady her.

"Your child is seriously determined to destroy my stomach today. What a kick!"

"Jennifer, sit down!" Dave carefully pushed her down on the chair, and knelt in front of her, laying a gentle hand on her belly and rubbed it soothingly. "Are you sure this was just the baby kicking?" he asked uneasily.

"What else do you think it was?" JJ bit back sarcastically.

"I don't know... maybe... It feels like you're in labor." he said haltingly.

"How would you know what it feels like? Are you the one who's pregnant here?"

"Sorry, wrong choice of words. Let me rephrase this. To me it looks like you're in labor."

"Can't be, I still have another three weeks," JJ denied.

"Yeah, but if I remember correctly, Henry was a little bit early as well," he reminded her, his hands still on her round bump.

"Maybe. But this feels different. This is kicking, not labor! After nine months, I should be able to tell the difference, don't you think?" JJ retorted, trying to get up from her chair.

"What are you doing?" Dave immediately wanted to know, eyeing her suspiciously.

"I'm going home now. Isn't that what you wanted me to do just five minutes ago?"

"JJ, I'm not sure if this is-" he started again, but she wouldn't let him finish the sentence.

"Don't say it!" God, she was really craving her hot water tub now!

"But Jennifer! Perhaps we should make a quick trip to the hospital and get you checked out. Just in case," he pleaded.

"Dave, once and for all. I'm fine!" JJ yelled, yanking up from her chair –
and stopped tracks.

"Oh boy!" she muttered as she felt something wet running down her legs.

"What is it?" Dave became more and more worried.

"Ehm, I hate to say it, Dave, but you were right," she admitted sheepishly, looking down on the small puddle between her legs and then up into his eyes.

"My water's just broke."

TBC

nach oben springen

in Fanfiction englisch 05.11.2010 15:13

Chapter 27

"What?" Dave exclaimed, pulling her closer.

"I'm in labor." JJ replied as calmly as she could.

"Oh God, now?" Dave sounded slightly panicked, beginning to feel overwhelmed by the fact that their baby, his baby, would soon be here. "We've gotta get you to the hospital then!"

"Don't panic, Dave, we still have-" JJ started, but was hit by another contraction.

"Damn!" She exclaimed loudly. "Why are these fucking contractions coming so fast?"

"Breathe, Jennifer!" Dave told her, forcing himself to stay calm and focused while everything inside him was raging.

"Don't tell me what to do!" JJ suddenly lashed out on him again, her demeanor somewhat changing every minute. Not understanding what he did wrong this time, Dave simply tried to not let her harsh words affect him, instead focusing on getting her to the car.

"Come on, Jennifer, let's get you to the hospital," he said softly, guiding her to the door.

"But I've gotta to call the nanny first and tell her to stay with Henry!"

"You can do that from the car. Please, Jennifer!" He grabbed her coat and put it around her shoulders.

"But-"

"No buts, JJ. Let's go!"

Never taking his arm off her, he walked them down to the parking garage, and helped her inside his car. Seeing her cringe in pain, he pressed a gentle kiss against her temple.

"Hold on, honey. We'll be at the hospital in no time. I promise," he assured her softly.

"Hurts...," JJ pressed out, making him wince himself.

Quickly getting into the car, he saw her taking out her cell phone once the latest contraction had subsided. He listened to her making arrangements with the nanny to stay with Henry over night, and was glad that it didn't seem to be a problem. Squeezing her hand reassuringly, he pulled out of the parking lot. No more than five minutes later, JJ had the next contraction.

"Damn! Why are they coming so fast? It's not supposed to be happening so fast! I was in labor for fifteen hours with Henry!" JJ cursed.

"I guess our baby's very eager to meet his parents," Dave couldn't help but chuckle. "And what you've felt all day long have probably been contractions already. You've been in labor for hours and didn't even notice. I see a pattern there..."

"Don't joke about it, this is not funny!" JJ yelled at him, breathing through the pain. "Can't you drive faster? I don't want to pop this child out in the middle of the traffic in a car without any help!"

"Honey, I'm here, and I'll help you bring our baby into the world if I have to. But I can't go faster. I'm already breaking every
speed limit here. Just hang in there. We're going to make it on time, I promise."

They made the drive to the hospital in record time, with Dave parking right in front of the ER, ignoring the wild gestures of a hospital employee to remove the car from the ambulance area. Tossing his keys over to the stunned man as he walked around the SUV to help JJ out, he called out to him, flashing his FBI badge: "I've got a pregnant woman in labor who's about to give birth any minute. You go ahead and find a proper parking space, if my car's bothering you here." Without another glance, he left the man standing there and jerked the car door open, wrapping his arms securely around JJ's body to get her out of the car, as she suffered from another contraction.

"It hurts so much, Dave. Something's not right. Why does it hurt so much?" she winced, holding on to him and squeezing her fingers into his upper arms. Flinching himself, he thought about the marks his arms would certainly display after that, but was wise enough to not utter a complaint.

"Everything's fine, baby, I'm sure about that," he said instead.

Quickly guiding her through the hospital entrance, he immediately yelled for a doctor. A nurse rushed over, bringing a wheelchair for JJ to sit down and showed them the way to the baby delivery station.

Twenty minutes later, JJ was lying in a hospital bed, hooked up on various machines monitoring her labor, the baby's heartbeat and her vitals. The doctor had examined her, and assured her that despite the short time between her contractions, she was still not ready to deliver the baby.

"It might also still take a few hours," Dr. Hawkes said. "I suggest you try to enjoy the last moments alone," he winked at JJ and Dave. "Call me if you need anything or if there's a problem."
With that, he left the room, leaving them by themselves.

Sitting down next to her bed, Dave took her hand in his and stroked it gently.

"I can't believe this is finally happening," he muttered quietly. "It won't be long and we're going to see our daughter or son." He bent over and pressed a soft kiss to her temple.

"You're not going to leave me, right?" JJ whispered, secretly glad that he was the one to be with her at this time.

"Not for a second, sweetheart. I wouldn't miss this for the world, Jennifer," he answered firmly.

"Now we actually still have time to inform everyone," JJ smiled. "I wouldn't have thought. Would you mind calling Hotch and the team?" she asked him.

Before Dave could say anything in response, however, one of the machines' beepings suddenly became irregular, and then started to slow down.

"Dave!" JJ gasped in shock.

"JJ! What is it?" Dave wanted to know worriedly.

"I don't know. The baby's heartbeat! It's slowing down!" JJ sounded panicked.

Dave rushed outside.

"We need a doctor here, quickly!" he screamed frantically. Dr. Hawkes rushed over, and inside JJ's room with two nurses following him.

"Something's wrong with the baby!" JJ called out as soon as she saw him.

He assessed the situation and examined JJ, while Dave was standing next to the bed, not knowing what to do or what to think, silently praying that everything was going to be okay.

"Ms. Jareau, I need you to calm down, please," Dr. Hawkes told JJ, who was trying her best to follow his order, taking deep breaths and focusing on Dave playing nervously with her fingers.

It didn't take long for him to find out what was wrong. "Ms. Jareau. I want you to stay as calm as possible. Can you do that?" JJ nodded at the doctor's words.

"What is it, what's wrong?" Dave interrupted impatiently.

"Mr. Rossi, the same goes for you. Please don't panic," the doctor said. Continuing as he saw Dave nod as well, he informed them with a few words: "The umbilical cord has wrapped itself around the baby's neck, and we're going to have to deliver your child right away through a c-section."

JJ and Dave both drew in a sharp breath, as the doctor went on. "I'm afraid that's the only possibility to keep your baby from suffocating." He ordered one of the nurses to prepare everything for the operation, while the other one got JJ ready to be transferred.

Unable to say anything, JJ simply nodded again.

"You're in good hands, Ms. Jareau," Dr. Hawkes said. "We'll do everything to keep you and your baby healthy, but we're going to have to work quickly."

Dave leaned down and gave JJ another gentle kiss, this time on the lips. Not giving her a chance to protest, he whispered soothingly: "I'm here, JJ. Everything's going to be all right."

"Don't leave me!" JJ cried out as her bed was rolled out of the room, never letting go of Dave's hand on the way to the delivery ward.

"I won't, I promise. I'm going to stay right next to you."

Once inside, the nurse demanded him to put on protective clothing. As soon as he'd done that, he was back at JJ's side, who was now laying on operating table, holding her hand again and muttering soothing words into her ear.

All of a sudden the nurse monitoring JJ's vitals called out: "Her blood pressure's dropping!"

Dave looked up, worried, and began to shout at the doctor, demanding to know what was wrong, but they ignored him completely, making a quick decision to put JJ under general anesthesia.

Another nurse came over to Dave and laid a hand on his shoulder. "Mr. Rossi, I'm afraid you have to leave now."

"No, I'm staying. I'm not leaving her," Dave screamed beside himself.

"Sir, I know this is hard for you, but you have to wait outside!" She tried to pull him away from JJ, but he desperately held on to her hand.

"Sir, we can't do our job, if you don't step aside!" The doctor interfered, throwing him a warning look. Feeling JJ's hand go limp as she dosed off, he let go of her, never quite comprehending what was actually going on, and staring in shock at the doctors and nurses working around his Jennifer. He never even noticed anymore that the nurse shoved him outside, his mind reeling off a million different scenarios of what could happen.

"We're going to do everything we can for your wife and child, Mr. Rossi. Believe me, it is not the first time something like this happens," the nurse told him softly before going back in.

TBC

nach oben springen

in Fanfiction englisch 06.11.2010 16:19

Chapter 28

Dropping into a chair that was standing opposite to the delivery room, Dave let his head fall into his hands. Never before in his entire 54 years had he felt so helpless, so completely out of control as in this moment. Not knowing what was going on in there, how serious JJ's or the baby's condition was, he felt like he was about to lose his mind. Usually one to pace around nervously, he now couldn't even raise his head. He just sat there, motionless, hoping and praying that God wouldn't take them away from him. For a second, the thought of calling Hotch and his mother flashed through his mind, but it was gone just as fast before he could act on it.

He didn't know how long he had been sitting there in the cold, white neon lights of the hospital floor. It could have been hours for all he knew, or maybe only minutes after all, but when he suddenly heard the loud cries of his newborn baby erupting from inside, his head jerked up. These cries were the most beautiful sound he'd ever heard, and it felt as if at least part of the heavy weight was lifted off his shoulders.

Feeling the first tears run down his cheeks, he stood up and went over to the door, trying to get a look at what was going on inside, hoping that someone was going to come over and tell him.
He didn't have to wait too long until one of the nurses came out, even though it had felt like an eternity again.

"Mr. Rossi? Congratulations, you're having a beautiful baby daughter."

Dave was stunned. "A girl? Really? I-I mean... Is she okay?" he stuttered as more and more tears began to run freely.

"Wh-what about Jennifer?"

"Your wife's being taken care of at the moment. It wasn't as dramatic as it looked like, but when her blood pressure dropped, we opted for the anesthesia as a precaution. The doctor's stitching the wound up as we speak, and she should wake up in about an hour. The pediatrician is currently examining your daughter, but she appears to be nothing but a healthy little baby." The nurse explained with Dave hanging on her lips, taking in every single word she said.

Dave let out a relieved sigh and sent a quick prayer to heaven, a small smile appearing on his face as he asked: "When can I see her? Them, I mean?"

"The doctor will be done in a few minutes. I'll get you then. Your wife will be brought back into her room later and you can go to her with your daughter once we're finished."

He nodded, wiping the tears from his eyes as the nurse went back inside. This time pacing up and down the floor while he waited, he thanked all his lucky stars that everything had apparently ended so well. He noticed just now that the nurse had referred to JJ as his wife all the time, and he hadn't even thought about correcting her. Smiling lightly at this thought, he realized that that was what he eventually wanted Jennifer to be. But with everything that had happened between them, this goal would be pretty hard to achieve, and he knew it would take time. Right now, all he cared about, though, was that they were both okay, his Jennifer, and his daughter. Everything else would come with time.

"Mr. Rossi?" The nurse called for him about ten minutes later. "You can come with me now."

He followed her into the room next to the delivery ward were JJ was still lying, and the first thing he saw was the pediatrician walking towards him with the small bundle on his arms that was his daughter.

"Congratulations, Mr. Rossi. You have a strong and healthy daughter," he said, placing the baby who was loosely wrapped in a white towel, carefully into his waiting arms. Dave began to cry again as he looked at his daughter for the first time, wondering how he could ever even have thought about not wanting to be in her life. She was the most beautiful and innocent thing he'd ever seen, with her little arms and legs sticking out of the towel, and currently crying on top of her lungs.

Pressing her carefully and protectively against his chest, not caring that she was still covered in blood, he whispered softly: "Shh, sweetheart, Daddy's here," rubbing a gentle hand up and down her small back.

"Mr. Rossi, why don't you follow me. We're going to weigh and measure her and you can help me bathe and dress her." The nurse suggested after a few minutes.

Dave nodded, but looked uncertainly over to the other room were JJ was.

"Don't worry, Sir. When we're finished with your daughter, your wife will be brought to her room and you both can go see her."
She held out her arm, and had Dave come with her.

"So, have you and Jennifer already decided for a name?" She asked him, taking the girl out of his arms, and removing the towel before placing her onto the balance.

"I...we," Dave stuttered. Finding coherent words still seemed somewhat impossible for him. "I-I mean, no, we haven't decided yet." He realized just now that they hadn't actually spoken about names, at least not seriously. "I want Jennifer to decide for a name," he murmured more to himself than to the nurse, who was more focused on the balance anyway.

"6 lb, 6 oz," she said contently, picking the baby up again and laid her down on the examination table.

Being totally naked again, the little girl made sure to let her displeasure be known to everyone.

"You're taking after your Daddy then, I'm guessing," the nurse chuckled, winking at Dave as she thought about the scene from earlier in the operating room. Dave only smiled proudly as the nurse continued.

"Just a few more minutes, sweetheart, and you'll be all warm and dry in your daddy's arms again," she went on trying to calm down the little girl as she handled with the tape measure.

"The head circumference is 13'', and overall she's 18"9 long," she informed Dave. "You're a tiny little princess, aren't you, sweetheart? Come on, let's have your first bath."

She gestured Dave to follow her to a washbowl, which was already prepared with warm water.
"You know how to do this, Daddy?" The nurse asked Dave, who nodded, having helped JJ with Henry a couple of times when the boy was younger.

Taking his daughter into his arms, the nurse was impressed at how professionally he held her and cleaned her tiny body.

"This is not your first kid, huh?" She asked, grinning widely.

"Well, it sort of is," Dave replied. Seeing the quizzical look on the nurses face, he added: "Jennifer has a son already." Who'll hopefully be mine as well soon, he added in his mind,

Fifteen minutes later, the little girl was bathed and dressed, and was peacefully slumbering in her father's arms, as they were on their way over to Jennifer's room.

TBC

-----
Zur Info über die Maße des Babys: Das Gewicht ist ungefähr 2900g, die Größe 48cm und der Kopfumfang 33cm. Alle Zahlen ohne Gewähr, ich musste das Internet zum Umrechnen verwenden...

nach oben springen

in Fanfiction englisch 07.11.2010 20:01

Chapter 29

When JJ slowly began to wake up, she had no idea where she was at first. Opening her eyes, she was greeted by dimmed light surrounding her and the sight of a white ceiling above her. She blinked a few times to get the sleep out of her eyes and inhaled a deep breath, trying to define the unfamiliar scent around her. After a few breaths, she realized that it almost felt like... a hospital!
Abruptly getting her memory back, her first thoughts went to the baby and she felt panic beginning to rise inside her as she tried to sit up, her drowsiness getting in the way of doing so, however. Looking around to find something to grab and pull herself up, her gaze fell onto Dave, who was sitting in a chair next to her bed, holding a small, white bundle in his arms. She immediately relaxed back into her cushions as she noticed the smile on his lips and the happiness in his otherwise tired and worn eyes, her heart warming at the sight in front of her eyes.

"Everything's okay," she told herself with relief, but couldn't help the tears beginning to form in her eyes. Reaching her hand out, she wanted to say something to tell him she was awake, but he had already noticed it.

"Hey," he whispered softly, smiling gently at her, before turning to his daughter again. "Look who's awake, princess, you're going to meet Mommy now."

"Princess?" JJ asked hoarsely, her voice barely audible.

"Yeah, princess," Dave answered proudly. "We have a beautiful little girl."

More tears were making it into her eyes as she tried again to sit up.

"Wait, I'll help you," Dave said quietly, cradling the baby with one arm securely to his chest, as he reached the other one out to bring her bed into a seating position.

"Here we go," he murmured, handing their daughter carefully over into Jennifer's wide outstretched arms.
Holding her baby for the first time, JJ couldn't stop the tears anymore and began to cry. The stress and the efforts of the past months running out of her with every tear that streamed down her cheeks, and she felt truly happy and content for the first time since the beginning of her pregnancy.

"You're so beautiful!" She whispered to her daughter, gently stroking her rosy cheeks as the tiny baby was peacefully slumbering in her arms, sucking her thumb.

"Isn't she beautiful?" Jennifer looked up into Dave's face, seeing that he was crying as well.

"She is. Just like her mother," he smiled contently as he laid his arm around JJ's shoulder and pressed a soft kiss into her hair.

"She has your hair Dave. So much black hair already."

"Yeah, and according to the nurses and my ringing ears, she also has my lungs and my voice," he smirked.

"But everything's okay with her, right?" JJ asked a bit anxiously.

"Everything's fine. We have a wonderful and healthy little baby girl here. Tiny, but healthy," Dave assured her soothingly.

"You look like you've been hit by a truck, Dave," JJ said, looking into his face again.

"Well, you gave me quite a scare today, honey. You and our princess."

"I'm sorry," JJ muttered guiltily.

"Hey, hey, you don't have to apologize. You have nothing to be sorry for. You did an amazing job here," he reassured her quickly, taking her hand and slipping back into the chair.

"Thank you, Dave. For staying with me."

"I told you, I'm not leaving. I still can't believe how close I came to missing these wonderful moments," he replied ruefully, lowering his head.

"Don't think about it now, okay?" JJ requested. "You're here and that's what counts now. We can discuss everything else later."

"Sure. We have more important things to do now. Like giving her a name," he nodded.

"God, we've never actually talked about that," JJ sighed.

"But I'm sure, you've thought about it and come up with a few suggestions, haven't you?" Dave winked.

JJ smiled. There were a couple of names she liked for a girl, although she had to admit that she'd always found it easier to come up with a boy's name. Gently looking at her daughter, she went through the short list of girl's names in her head, and held her breath at one particular name.

"What is it, Jennifer?"

"Well, I-I like... Hannah," she said haltingly, studying Dave's face to see if he'd liked the name as well. His smile became wider as he confirmed: "Then Hannah it is."

"You like it? If not I'm sure we can find-" JJ started, still a bit hesitant.

"Jennifer, stop," he interrupted her softly. "I love it. Besides, it's your decision. You're her mother. Any ideas for a middle name?"

"And you're her father. Why don't you pick the middle name?"

"JJ, it's okay, you don't have to-"

Now it was JJ's turn to interrupt him.
"I want you to. And I'm sure you have something in your mind as well."

"I have, actually. But we don't have to take it, if you don't like it."

"You have to tell me the name, so that I can decide that," she chuckled lightly.

Stroking tenderly over their daughter's head, he muttered: "Well...Emilia."

Looking at JJ uneasily, he was relieved when he saw her smile widely.

"That's beautiful. Hannah Emilia." Giving her daughter a small kiss onto the nose, she asked curiously: "Any particular reason why you like this name?"

"Well, I was thinking... after Emily, you know," Dave explained. Seeing JJ's questioning expression, he went on: "I've hurt her quite a bit as well with my stupid behavior, and, you know, I think she deserves it that we name our girl after her." Realizing that JJ did not entirely know what he was referring to, he continued further. "She confided in me with something a while ago. She probably still hasn't told anyone else, and it's not my place to tell you now, but when she learned what I had done to you, it hit her harder than I realized at first."

JJ nodded: "I saw that she was more angry with you than the others. I've already wondered why, but she didn't say anything, and I didn't want to push." She felt a sting of jealousy at the thought that Emily and Dave had a secret together, but she didn't dwell on it. There was certainly a good reason, why they didn't tell anyone, and thinking about it, JJ knew that Dave had always been a good friend to everyone on the team. They all knew they could come to him with their problems, and she respected that he would keep things a secret if he was asked. In fact, it made her quite happy, knowing that he wouldn't just go and betray anyone's confidence, including hers.

"But you're good again now, right?"

"Yeah, we've talked and she made me see what a bastard I was, but we're all fine again," he confirmed. "So, is it okay for you if we name her after Emily?"

"Of course. I really like the name, and it has a nice ring with Hannah, I think."

"I do, too." He bent over and kissed his daughter's forehead, whispering her name.

He wanted to hold her again, but knowing that he already got some time alone with Hannah and JJ didn't, he settled with watching her in JJ's arms, occasionally stroking her cheeks or her little fingers.

For a few long minutes neither of them said a word as they were contently watching over their daughter's sleep, both lost in thoughts. It was JJ, who interrupted the silence after a while.

"I was thinking. How do you feel about asking Hotch if he wanted to be her godfather?"

Dave smiled at her. "I already had the same idea. He's the one person I trust the most, you know. Besides you of course."

"We can ask him then when he's here. Speaking of which, have you called him already?"

Dave's eyes widened. He'd totally forgotten about calling everyone. Looking at her sheepishly, he murmured: "Sorry..."
Chuckling at his guilty expression, JJ unsuccessfully tried to stifle a yawn.

"Tired?"

She nodded.

"You should get some sleep then, you've had an exhausting day."

"I know, but I still want to hold her for a while," JJ tried to argue.

"She'll be there in the morning, sweetheart. Let me lie her down," Dave pushed her gently.

Reluctantly agreeing as she felt her eyes grow heavier and heavier, she gave Hannah a goodnight-kiss and let Dave take her out of her arms and over to the small hospital crib that the nurses had put right next to JJ's bed. Carefully placing her into it, Dave kissed her as well.

"Goodnight, princess. I love you. Mommy and Daddy both love you," he whispered before he turned back to JJ.

"Get some rest, Jennifer. Hannah will be right here next to you when you wake up tomorrow," he said, putting the bed back
into its original position.

"You still have to call Hotch and the team. And our parents!" JJ reminded him, yawning again.

"And I'm going to do that as soon as you're asleep, honey. I promise," he assured her as he tucked her in and brushed a tender kiss against her temple.

Within a few minutes, JJ was fast asleep, and Dave stood and watched her for another few moments, relishing her beautiful face smiling lightly in her sleep, before he stepped out to make a few phone calls.

TBC

nach oben springen

in Fanfiction englisch 09.11.2010 15:50

Chapter 30

The next morning at the early hour of seven a.m., Dave was woken up by the cheerful voice of his mother, bursting into the room and immediately bending over the baby.
He jerked up from the chair in which he had spent the night in a pretty uncomfortable position, refusing to leave Jennifer's and the baby's side.

"Mama, what are you doing here?" he hissed quietly, not wanting to wake JJ or his daughter up.

The little girl had been up and screaming every few hours, demanding to be fed, and they both didn't get too much sleep, so Dave was quite relieved when they'd finally managed to calm her down for more than just two hours at a stretch.

"What do you think, Davey? Taking a look at my first grandchild of course!" Gracia Rossi retorted.

"What time's it?" Dave muttered, glancing at his watch and continued: "Mama, it's barely seven! Couldn't you have waited for another hour or two?" Remembering their phone call from the evening before, when he had spent at least fifteen minutes to convince her not to come over at once but wait until the morning, he shook his head. His mother was incorrigible.

He was actually surprised that the team hadn't turned up already as well. He'd briefly talked to Hotch, informing him about the baby and asked him to tell the others, stressing that there was no need for them to come by before the next morning, but he reckoned that it wouldn't be long before at least Garcia was to show up.

He'd also phoned JJ's parents, who were quite surprised about how fast things went, and who promised to take the earliest flight from Pennsylvania they could get. They had sounded a bit cold towards him when he first said his name, and he couldn't blame them of course, but when they heard the exciting news, their aloofness had been gone quickly. It didn't tell him anything about how they would act towards him when they met him in person, though, but he knew that he deserved any kind of resentment they would have for him after hurting their daughter so deeply.

Getting up from the chair, he stretched his sore muscles first before he went over to his mother.

"Oh, Davey, she's so beautiful!" Gracia Rossi whispered with tears in her eyes, taking her son's face into her hands and giving him congratulating kisses onto both cheeks.
"And the name is wonderful, too!" She exclaimed as quietly as she could.

Dave hadn't wanted to tell her on the phone, saying that he wanted it to be a surprise until they introduced their little baby to her officially, but persistent as she was, his mother didn't give up until he had informed her about all the details.

"Hey, what's going on in here?" They suddenly heard a sleepy voice.

Turning around, they saw Jennifer trying to sit up in her bed. When she realized that it was Dave's mother whose noise had woken her up, a bright smile formed on her face.

Mrs. Rossi went right over to JJ's bed and drew her into a tight hug.

"Oh, congratulations, Jennifer! This is such a beautiful little girl!" She kissed JJ as well, and almost didn't want to let go of her anymore. "I'm so happy!"

"Thank you, Mrs. Rossi," JJ replied.

"Now, what did I tell you? You can call me Mama!"

"Right, Mama."

Before they could say anything else, Hannah began to stir in her crib, and within seconds, the room was filled with her loud cries. Dave bent down and lifted her up, pressing her to his chest and rubbing her back while whispering soothing words into her ears.
Mrs. Rossi stared in amazement at the wondrous transformation that had happened to her son when she saw how naturally he handled her. A few more happy tears made it down her cheeks as she silently thanked her Creator for giving her this moment.

JJ was amazed, too. Nothing reminded her of the seemingly cold-hearted and stupid bastard anymore that Dave had been only a few short months ago. Thinking about the previous night when he had firmly stood by her side, doing anything to help her take care for Hannah, she was beyond relieved that she wouldn't have to raise her alone. She deliberately blocked out the thought of Dave as anything else but the baby's father, the last thing she wanted to think about at the moment was what might come out of her and him, but seeing him with the baby convinced her that – even if they might never get together as a couple – he would never walk out in their child.

Dave paced around the room, rocking his girl in his arms, and had no intentions of handing her over to Jennifer or his mother, who was eagerly waiting to hold her granddaughter for the first time. JJ exchanged a look with Mrs. Rossi, and both grinned widely. "She already has him wrapped around her little finger," JJ chuckled.

"Davey, let me have her for a minute, please!" His mother demanded.

Reluctantly, he went over to where she was sitting next to JJ's bed and gave her the baby.

"Dave, you'll get her back," JJ snorted, laughing at his less than pleased expression. "It's not like your mother's going to run out of the room and kidnap her."

"Who knows," he muttered to himself, and added firmly when Hannah let out a few short whimpers: "JJ, I'm telling you, it's Daddy's arms she likes best!"

Deep down, of course, he was more than happy to see his mother having her biggest wish fulfilled. It had never occurred to him how much his mother really wanted grandchildren. Sure, she'd been complaining about the lack of Rossi grandbabies on every possible occasion, but it was only at that moment, when he looked at her with Hannah in her arms, that he realized the dream that had come true for her.

While Gracia Rossi was fully concentrated on Hannah, JJ realized that her nanny was still taking care of Henry, and how much she missed him and wanted him to be there with them.

"What's the matter, JJ?" Dave asked her softly, seeing her contemplating expression.

"I was thinking about Henry."

"You know, I called the nanny again last night, and she's going to watch him for as long as we need her," he tried to soothe her.

"Yeah, I know, but I miss him. I'd love to have him here," JJ sighed.

"I'm going to call her and have her bring him here, okay?"

"That would be great. Thanks, Dave."

He pressed a soft kiss into her hair and stepped out of the room.
Coming back ten minutes later, he brought three plastic cups of coffee with him. "I thought you might want to have some as
well," he said. "Yours is decaf," he winked at JJ.

They spent the next hour chatting lightly, taking turns in holding Hannah, and letting the nurses fuss around JJ and the baby once the doctor had made a quick stop to check up on them, until the nanny arrived with Henry.

"Ma-ma! Da-da!" he squealed happily as soon as he'd spotted JJ and Dave.
Congratulating JJ and cooing over the newborn for a moment, the nanny excused herself again after a few minutes, leaving the family by themselves again.

Mrs. Rossi couldn't have been more surprised when she heard Henry referring to her son as "Da-da!" Smiling contently, she realized that she might have not only one but two grandchildren in the near future if her son and Jennifer were able to work out their problems, and she made a mental note to try everything within her power to help them with that, because the blonde young woman was everything she'd always imagined in a daughter-in-law.

Seeing Henry bouncing up and down on Dave's lap, she immediately fell in love with him.

"You're such a beautiful little boy, and you look just like your Mama!" she called joyfully.

Henry was a bit shy with her at first, burying his face in Dave's neck, but they all knew that it wouldn't take long for him to take the elderly lady to his heart.

First of all, however, his little sister was more interesting for him.

"Ma-ma! Ba-by!" he exclaimed excitedly, reaching his arms out to try and touch her.

"Yes, Henry, that's your baby sister Hannah!" JJ told him gently. "Do you want to say hello to her?"

"'Nah!" Henry squeaked, trying to get out of Dave's arms. Dave carefully placed him into JJ's free arm, and they all watched raptly how Henry curiously examined his little sister.

TBC

nach oben springen

in Fanfiction englisch 11.11.2010 03:10

Chapter 31

An hour later, Hannah had had her first breakfast and was now freshly changed slumbering in her mother's arms again while Henry was napping on Dave's lap, and the three adults were quietly talking until they heard a small knock on the door, followed by Hotch sticking his head in.

"Hey, may we come in?"

"Sure," JJ smiled widely as Dave and his mother got up from their seats to make room for Hotch, Prentiss, Morgan, Reid, and Garcia.

Even though they all tried to be as quiet as possible because of the sleeping children, the sudden disturbance woke Hannah up right away, and she began to cry at the top of her lungs.

"There's no doubt that this is your daughter, Dave," Emily snorted dryly, and the others burst into laughter, waking Henry up as well.

Jabbering happily as he recognized all of his aunts and uncles from Mommy's work, he pointed at his little sister. "'Nah!'Nah!" He called out cheerfully, clapping his little hands, and everyone turned to give the newest addition to their BAU family their full attention.

"Aww, she's so cute," Garcia cajoled. "Congratulations, Mommy and Daddy!"

JJ rearranged her in her arms so that everyone could take a good look at her daughter.

"What's her name?" Morgan wanted to know.

"Hannah," JJ answered, prompting Dave with a look to explain her middle name.

"And we decided for Emilia as the middle name," he continued, looking at Prentiss. "After you, Emily," he said softly. "If that's okay with you, of course."

Emily was caught by surprise, and didn't know what to say at first, except for a shortly stammered "After me?"

"Well, yeah. It was Dave's idea," JJ smiled. "And while I don't know his full reasoning behind it, I have to admit that I love the name, and honestly, she couldn't have a better role model, right?"

Emily looked at Dave and immediately understood. Touched, she nodded lightly, feeling a few tears burning in her eyes.

"Thanks, guys. I'm honored," she whispered hoarsely.

"Do we get to know the reason why?" Garcia asked curiously. Emily realized that Dave was still the only one on the team who she'd ever told of her abortion and the events in Rome, but now was not the right place or time to tell everyone else.

"One day, maybe," she told Garcia with a small smile, hoping for her understanding that she didn't want to talk about it at the moment. Seeing her and the others exchange confused looks, she knew, however, that at least Garcia would get back to the topic another time.
Realizing that Emily felt uncomfortable discussing whatever her secret with Dave was, JJ quickly decided to change the subject before there were more questions.

"There's something else. Hotch, Dave and I were talking and we want to ask you if you'd like to be Hannah's godfather." Hotch's eyes lit up and a bright smile appeared on his face.

"Of course." He gently stroked Hannah's cheek. "Thanks you." He smiled gratefully at JJ and Dave while playing with Hannah's fingers. The little girl had stopped crying and stared curiously at him.

"Wanna hold her for a moment?" JJ wanted to know.

Hotch nodded and accepted the little baby from her arms. "Hey, there," he whispered softly. "I'm your Uncle Aaron. I'm gonna be the best godfather you can imagine."

The others were standing around them, waiting impatiently for their turn to hold Hannah while tickling her face or stroking her hair and congratulating the new parents to their beautiful daughter.

Dave, who still had Henry in his arms, took a step back and watched the scene in front of him. Taking a deep, content breath, he was relieved that everything had turned out well. He knew he still had to face JJ's parents, and he was sure that this was not going to be a pleasant first meeting, but seeing that everyone else was standing behind him and JJ, willing to support them as best as they could, there was not much to worry about at the moment.

A hand on his shoulder pulled him out of his thoughts. "I hope you won't screw this up again," Morgan said in a warning tone that left no doubt that he'd have Dave's head for real should he ever hurt JJ again.

"I won't," Dave assured him firmly. "Believe me, Morgan, I've learned my lesson."

"Just making sure. Because next time it won't be my fist you'll be looking at, but my gun. And you'd drop dead before you could even reach for your own gun."

"I hear you, Derek. But there won't be a next time."

"Good. I'd hate to deprive that beautiful little girl of her father."

They all spent the rest of the morning admiring the baby until Hotch decided that it was time to get back to work around noon.
JJ and Dave had had to fill them in on all the details of the slightly dramatic events of the past evening, and Garcia was almost a bit sad that she hadn't been around for the show this time.
Dave's mother was deeply impressed by the close-knit group of people her son was working with. What astounded her more than anything else, was that her son, who had always been a loner, working for himself, had found a place in this team, was accepted and highly respected by the younger agents, had even become close friends with them, and was actually enjoying his role. And while she was still quite a bit angry with him for his stupidity that very nearly cost her a grandchild, she also realized that she'd never been prouder of him than at the moment.

TBC

nach oben springen

Besucher

Wir begrüßen unser neuestes Mitglied: zhanjiao1212
Forum Statistiken
Das Forum hat 1509 Themen und 38080 Beiträge.

Xobor Einfach ein eigenes Forum erstellen | ©Xobor.de